Tuesday, June 30, 2015

MY STORY… BEYOND THE SCALE & REAL LIFE TOO

If you Give a Moose a Muffin…..
Big Gramma & Big Papa celebrating 65 yrs!
This weekend was busy, crazy, fun and nostalgic all at once and now I’m feeling super tired!  Saturday after the meetings my family came over to celebrate the 8 summer birthdays we have.  Way too much food, (my mom brought 3 desserts!) and although plenty of what we served was healthy and lower in points that doesn’t help if you continue to eat it!  Then my son gets his front adult tooth chipped off while screwing around and well, being a boy.  Frustrating none the less.   Sunday was my grandparent’s 65th wedding anniversary where there was more food.  Then when I think my weekend couldn’t get any fuller; on Monday my kids made up a new game – a very unsafe game that resulted in our 5 year old breaking his leg!  
All the while I continued to remind myself that “All the food in the world will not change the reality of my life right now”  I had to remember that although I was unhappy about the situation.  My eating wasn’t going to change the fact that we would need to have dental work done soon.  My eating did not add to the celebration of all the cousin’s birthdays & wedding anniversary.  And consuming a giant sundae from Culver's would not heal my son’s leg. And don’t even get me started with our little league schedule every night this week at 3 different fields, all at the same time.
My point of telling you this?  Not to have you all join me in a pity party but to ask myself how I want these “Life” situations to affect my weight loss this week.  Can my attitude affect my happiness?  YES!  I can be grateful that my son didn’t break his wrists too, which could have easily happened the way he fell.  My son with the chipped tooth was told if he had chipped off any more of the tooth we would have had to have had a root canal, a crown and future surgeries as he got older!  I can be thankful and grateful about that! 
Which got me thinking...Have you ever read the story of the Moose that asked for a muffin only to get distracted, color some pictures, make a mess, spill some milk and then realize he never had the muffin?  Which of course starts the cycle of silliness all over again.  This week I will not be the Moose!  
*If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Numeroff
Although eating can make events seem more fun sometimes I need to fess up and decide if I am just eating out of emotion.  I’ll admit that those moments can lead to a temporary pay off – but the reality is that it usually costs me more in the long run.  This is how it works when we are like the silly moose: Something good or bad happens, I eat to distract myself from that heightened emotion; I feel better for a few moments; then I feel bad about myself for eating; I decide I am a W.W. failure which leads to me eating something else to escape that thought, then I feel bad and eat again and so on and so on. Can you relate? 
I often hear members in meetings argue food or activity to be the controlling factor in weight loss success.  I argue that the most essential player in my success, is MY MIND.  
Sometimes, My mind has to change before My weight can!



JUNE Theme:  GET HAPPY!


We're wrapping up June this week.  How are you more mindful of your happiness?  What changes have you seen in your overall quality of life?  We’re here to help you not only lose weight but this month but to – GET HAPPY!

 



Last Week:     ”KEEP YOUR WHY CLOSE BY”

Whatever it is that we want to achieve, keeping our eyes on the goal can help us get there.  Thinking about our “why” can help us focus on the “how” since our motivations change over time.  Did you make a Vision Board this week or choose an anchor to keep that Why Close By?  If so, where did you put it so that it made a difference for you?  Remember having a visual cue reminds us what we are working towards!


This Week:  GRATITUDE ADJUSTMENT”


Believe it or not, the simple act of acknowledging gratitude has benefits far beyond the moment you recognize it in your life.  It can shift your mindset and even your biology!  It’s another building block to understanding happiness and how you can cultivate it in your life! 







WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:


HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY! 

~ be safe and enjoy your weekend!  Don’t forget we will be closed this Saturday in observance of the 4th of July holiday!  Don’t let this mean you have a “week off,” Find a meeting to visit earlier in the week & come back to us on the 11th! 

 


ON SALE THIS WEEK

Smoothies:   $4.95
Success Handbook!  (My Favorite Product) :  $4.95


WALKING CLUB STARTING SOON: 
Erin is organizing a 5K walk this September and looking for members to start walking clubs in their areas – or after their meetings!  If you are interested in helping with this let me know!

STRUGGLING MEMBER WORKSHOPS:
Do you feel unmotivated?  Struggling with staying on plan? You're not alone!  Find a workshop that fits your schedule!
·         July 1, 9-10am ~ Geneva Store



Quote of the Week:
“Every Single Day you make a Choice” 
which will you make?

This newsletter is and the views shared are not affiliated with weight watchers international, inc.  It is meant to be a motivational tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment