Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Who Moved My Cheese?

 MY STORY… BEYOND THE SCALE & REAL LIFE TOO

WHO MOVED MY CHEESE?

A friend of mine just lent me the book “Who Moved My Cheese” by Spencer Johnson M.D. as we were discussing the many graduation parties we both had been invited to this summer.  This book is her go~to Grad Gift. and yet I had never even heard of it before.  So sure enough she sent me home with her copy!  The premise of this little parable is that Change can be a blessing or a curse, depending on your perspective.  It’s the story of 2 little mice & 2 little men that go every day into a maze to get cheese until one day they arrive & discover that the cheese is gone!  The mice are shocked but put on their shoes and race off in search of adventure & new cheese.  The men stay, every day, hoping it will come back until one man finally decides he will die if he doesn’t go out and look for new cheese.  So off he goes.  The last man stays.  Waiting.  Sad.  Angry.  Frustrated.  Who would DARE move his cheese?  He deserved that cheese.  What would he do if there was no cheese?  So think about it.  Are YOU adaptable and alert to change, embracing the newness with excitement?  Or do you often find yourself resisting and fearing it, hoping that if you ignore it long enough it will just change back to how things once were?
After finishing the book I had a little “Ah Ha” moment myself.  Whether I like it or not Change Is Coming!  Or in some parts of my life it already has!  At work I have a new Territory Manager that runs things in a new way then my previous supervisor.  Today is the kids last day of school.  Change is coming as we will be in a new routine for the next few months.  I used to be able to keep my weight maintained as long as I tracked my points but now sadly, I have to MOVE too!  Ugh!  I’m getting older….June is my birthday month and I will officially be as OLD as my Mom was the day I overheard her crying to a friend that she was 42 and middle aged.  Isn’t that funny?  I remember her being pregnant at 30 with my youngest sister thinking that the PTO would be gossiping that a 30 old was having a baby!  Times do change! 
What about you?  How has your life changed?  Are you still mad that we don’t have a slide rule for WW and that you can’t look at a nutrition label and guess the points? (C’mon that was 4 years ago- time to move on)  Have you lost a loved one this year that threw your life into a tailspin?  Retire?  Move?  Become a Grandpa?  How are you handling your life right now?  Take a moment today to think about the changes that have happened and how you responded?  Do you need to reconsider?  Are you like the sad, angry man complaining about your change or have you moved on and embraced the newness that came - in spite of that change?  So I guess I end with one last question….Are you a man or a mouse? 


May begins YOUR SUMMER TOOLKIT:

May is the gateway to summer!  School will soon be out, the weather is getting warmer, burgers are on the grill - this is the best time to start prepping for the challenges & fun of this next season!  Our May meetings are designed to help you stock your WW “tool box” so you can enjoy all that summer has to offer AND stay on Plan!  Coming next week= June is GET HAPPY month at W.W!


Last Week's Meeting:      ”THE PLEASURE PRINCIPLE”

We worked together in the meeting room to brainstorm ideas to up the Flavor, bring back Blasts from the Past,  (Oberweiss Shakes made every list) tried to be more Adventurous & we Set the MoodI had so much fun hearing all your ideas!  I hope you did too!  Come to the meeting this week and let us know which of these great ideas you tried!  Did you like cold soup? Anyone have a Slab of Cake (Heather wink wink) I hope you got out of your ruts and away from “meh” meals!   



This Week's Meeting:   ”GO OUT & PLAY”

Any activity goals for the summer?  Even if you are allergic to exercise let’s try to come up with ways to get moving that actually fit your lifestyle!  How can we play if …..   Been injured? Work full time?  Stay at home with little kids?  Do we need to “pack a bag” to actually meet our goals?  How can moving fit into your life right now?

Remember the Moving Man Challenge I gave you a few months back?  This is still in play!  Take your age and translate it into some type of action plan – last week Heidi got her charm by going to the gym 48 times and stayed for 48 minutes!  Yay Heidi!  You’ve seen members get them for planking, hula hooping, swimming and even going to the mailbox!  This is your challenge!  What goal will you set to move a little more then you are  now?  Don’t forget there is no end date to this challenge.  Whenever you complete it I will give you your bling!



What’s Happening!

ON SALE THIS WEEK
Smoothies:   $4.95
Fit Bits:   $10 off this week
Original Active Link:  $5.00  WHAT!? 

-  You saw right!  The completely waterproof original Active Link is $5 through June 20.

-  $5 monthly subscription fee

 

STRUGGLING MEMBER WORKSHOPS:
Do you feel unmotivated?  Struggling with staying on plan?  Or just need to refocus and recommit?  You're not alone!  Find a workshop that fits your schedule!
·         June 3,   9-10am ~ Geneva
·         June 11,  6-7pm ~  South Elgin
·         June 25,  6:30-7:30pm ~ Geneva
(North Aurora coming soon)


Let’s Clap the Big Hands!
Kay & Celeste
Celebrate the Scale & those Non Scale Victories too!
This week I want to recognize Kay & Celeste.  These sisters & roommates from Geneva cleaned out their cabinets last week.  Even those items that had low points values but were triggers or had high sodium were tossed out!  Then they went shopping so their environment was safe. Not only did these 2 characters cut & prep their produce they both LOST weight this week!  Bravo Kay & Celeste!
(if you’d like to share your success, post under comments or let me know you’d like to be added in the blog)


Quote of the Week:



This newsletter is and the views shared are not affiliated with weight watchers international, inc.  It is meant to be a motivational tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment