Monday, November 16, 2015

R.I.P.

MY STORY… BEYOND THE SCALE & REAL LIFE TOO
True Confessions of an Imperfect Weight Watcher Leader

Nov. 16, 2015
Weight:  -.2
How many times have I felt sorry for myself today: too embarrassing to admit
____________________________________________________________
We woke up Sunday to find that the temperature inside our fridge was 69 degrees!  I am not sure when it stopped working. Last time I know it was good was when I made lunch on Friday.  Then the weekend got busy; we had funeral, b-day party and work & I guess we weren’t eating at home much.  So Sunday morning the stench and the thawed meat in the freezer meant a trip from the appliance repairman and a diagnosis of a dead fridge. 
Back up about 3 months ago- the freezer had stopped freezing and we had hired a different guy to fix it.  This man apparently put in a refurbished part, cut some corners, but got the freezer working.  I had no idea what he did.  I just knew my freezer worked and I was out a few hundred bucks.  Since the darn thing broke again I called a different company.  He comes out and tells me that I am missing a part.  That my compressor had wires that should be coming from it and for some reason they had been cut off.  Hmmm, and that the part that was previously replaced was a cheap knock off that in reality had probably killed my fridge.  I had been ripped off by a cruddy repairman.  Really?  Nothing else can be done?  Nope.  Without spending a ton of money my best option is to just start over.
Can I just whine for a minute more and tell you I had just shopped on Thursday and had to throw away a few hundred dollars’ worth of food. AHHHGGH!  Ok temper tantrum done. 
In the midst of my overwhelming morning I started to see the comparison of my refrigerator problems and my WW story.  I had been doing this journey since 2006 (or before if you count me growing up with a WW mom) and with very little change (until we were allowed fruit for zero points) and yet every so often the weight would try to creep back on.  Whenever that weight piled on I would just go back to the beginning and start fresh.  Remember week one?  I pulled out my scale, kept my tracker close, used my measuring spoons, ate off smaller plates, got in my steps, you get it right?   Went to the basics until the weight got back in check.  However, after almost ten years of this I started to make a few tweaks......  I decided I was smart enough to make repairs to the plan on my own.  Pshh WW nutrition and research teams.  I’m actually living this.  I know my body.  I am a WW leader for goodness sake. 
So I tweaked, cut some corners, took out the parts I didn’t want to do and tried it my way.   The Jenn version of W.W.  Some weeks my way worked.  Some weeks my way didn’t do anything but make me gain weight (those weeks were never my fault) How crazy am I that I thought I was smarter than a company that has been successful for 52 years!  Smarter than a research team of medical nutritionists? OMG! I realized I was the Crappy Repairman!  I am that guy that came to my house this summer.  I put in a cheap alternative, removed a part I didn’t think I needed anymore and felt pretty proud of myself.  For a while anyway.  Pretty soon the tricks started to fail and my manipulations got so tired that there was nothing else to do but give up and start over.  The gimmicks were dead. 
I can complain and I can whine but the bottom line is I need to fix what I broke. I may not like it but heck I know that when I kinda do the program it kinda works.  And when I work the program it really works.  So WHY do I try to fight it?   
It’s time to fire the Crappy Repairman and get to work.  R.I.P. “Jenn’s Version of WW” Anyone else with me? 


NOVEMBER Theme:  HEALTHY HOLIDAYS

Last Week:    SUPERMARKET SMARTS
What new shopping strategy did you choose?  How did it go in the supermarket? 
This Week:   THE GREAT PLATE
After having conquered the supermarket, we are now going to find ways to get us to and away from the Thanksgiving dinner table. Feeling relaxed, in control and proud of our choices!  At this food focused event (or events) a little advanced planning and a few Points Plus calculations can do wonders!  Let's leave the holiday still feeling proud or our health & weight loss goals.

What’s Happening…
ON SALE THIS WEEK
Fitness equipment: $9.95


STRUGGLING MEMBER WORKSHOPS:
This month we are looking at how we can PLAN TO SUCCEED.  How come we leave our meetings ramped up and ready for a successful week then mid-way through just throw in the towel?  Sound familiar?  If so join us as we strive together to develop a plan for overcoming those “bad days” that throw us off the wagon!
·         In South Elgin = Nov. 21, 11:30-12:30pm

Quote of the Week:
By Anne Ricci

                        
This newsletter is and the views shared are not affiliated with weight watchers international, inc.  It is meant to be a motivational tool.


No comments:

Post a Comment